29 December 2014

My Word for 2015: ἐγκράτεια

ἐγκράτεια (n.) self-control, from ἐν (in, by, with; a state of rest) + κράτος (force, strength, might, dominion); lit., centered strength or dominion, not receiving nor sending

Around the middle of this past autumn, I set aside all of my self-improvement efforts in an attempt to prevent an impending mental breakdown. Instead, I took some time to focus on what the Bible had to say about self-control. I felt (and still do feel) that the majority of my challenges with exercise, proper eating habits, productivity, etc., essentially stems from poor self-control. What I learned is that self-control is less about controlling myself and more about giving up control of my life.

Fruit of the Spirit: Self Control Gal 5:22-23

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22–23


Self-control sounds like a good thing, and it is. The danger, as I see, arises when our striving to control our self becomes a pursuit of Godliness through our own strength. If my desire to control my self is focused solely on what I do or do not, it becomes easy to shut God out of the equation entirely. A life lived without God’s influence is exactly what I’m trying to avoid by practicing self-control!

In Koine Greek, the word translated in modern Bibles as ‘self-control’ is ἐγκράτεια (egkrateia), a derivative of the term for force or strength (kratos), typically referring to God. The prefix en- means in, inside, by, or with, and refers to a state of rest, neither entering nor exiting.

I am by no means a Greek scholar, but my rudimentary understanding of these component parts leads me to deduce that egkrateia means something like centered strength or abiding dominion. Self-control is a state of neither having power forced into me (that would be the prefix eis-) nor of expressing might outward (ek-), but of recognizing that a great force resides within me which allows for wisdom in everyday choices and actions. And no, I’m not talking about midi-chlorians.

A man who does not control his temper is like a city whose wall is broken down. Proverbs 25:28 [HCSB]

The King James Version of the Bible translates egkrateia as temperance, which derives from the word temper. As a verb, temper refers to modification through the addition of a moderating element, often describing the working of a certain substance into a desired consistency so as to impart strength or resiliency. More simply, to temper a thing is to make it more suitable by adding something else.

In today’s parlance, we talk about tempering steel, glass, or chocolate, in each case manipulating the raw material so as to create a substance that is more resistant to damage. Music, too, uses temper as a verb: to temper an instrument, especially a piano, is to adjust the pitch—to alter or regulate the instrument so as to conform to a standard of accuracy.

Piano Tuner

The noun temper is defined as disposition, composure, attitude, or (positively) a mental condition of moderation and calm. It can also be a characteristic or general quality of a thing. Archaically, temper is a middle course between two extremes. In reference to metalworking, the temper of a piece of iron or steel is its ability to absorb considerable energy before cracking.

I suggest that for the Christian, the moderating element that tempers our life is the Holy Spirit. He works in us to impart strength (“be strengthened by the Lord and His vast strength”), to conform us to a standard of accuracy (i.e., the image and likeness of Christ), and to correct our frame of mind (“Have this attitude in yourself which was also in Christ Jesus”). If we “lose our temper”, or lose those elements which keep us in the right composure and right relation with God and neighbor, the Holy Spirit offers loving guidance to calm us and restore our mental strength and resiliency.

Self-control (or temperance) then is the realization of the Holy Spirit’s work in us and the centering calm of the Spirit’s strength imparted to our lives to grant us the durability and resiliency to navigate our daily trials as citizens of Heaven on assignment in the strange land of Earth.

My “one word” for 2015 is egkrateia, self-control, as I seek to recognize the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in me and His influence that should be at the forefront of every choice I make: what to eat, what I amuse myself with, how I spend my money, etc.

Do you agree with the idea of the Holy Spirit tempering our lives like hardened steel? Are you itching to correct my interpretation of Koine Greek? Leave a comment below!

1 comment:

  1. I love this! What an excellent writing on self-control... in its truest sense as a FRUIT of the Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete